Monday, September 23, 2013

30 Day D&D Challenge: Day 23-Least Favorite Monster Overall

I hate Stirges!

These damn giant mosquito things travel in huge packs, are quick and extremely hard to hit unless they are already latched on to your neck sucking your blood, and then if you hit them you take half the damage.  But what choice do you have?  You gotta clear them out otherwise they drain 1d4 Constitution/round!  The other reason I despise them so is their prevalence.  All low-level D&D characters everywhere has been Stirge-slapped by their fellow adventurers at least once in their careers.

Yes, there are a lot of really stupid D&D monsters out there that are well worth hating, but running into a nest of damned Stirges takes the cake for me.  Too common and too annoying!  Down with Stirges!


3 comments:

brando said...

I hear you loud and clear with the stirges. Yes. They suck. Tehehehhe.


The monsters I don't like are the ones who have no place in my setting. I like stirges, and owlbears, etc. Because I can imagine them in that environment.

What I can't abide is a Giff, or Wemic, or Rhemoratz. If I'm trying hard to suspend my disbelief about orcs and elves, and such, they shouldn't be so insulting.

I suppose a Rhemoratahz takes the cake for me. How could they generate so much heat, and why would they? And how could those little wings support so much front mass? What an inefficient and highly calorie burning way to hunt. I just couldn't get past that.

brando said...

I have some new characters. They've never met stirges.

That has to change.

Cory said...

I actually have a Rhemoratazamataz model that Ineed to paint, though I agree their standard Monsterous Manual setup is ridiculous. I'm going to paint this guy reddish brown and he'll be a monster for a Red Sands of Mars game. They look like a perfect fit for a Martian monster.

Giffs are the dumbest. If a Giff ever shows up in your game then you must be playing too often, because it is a sign the GM is giving up.