Saturday, September 28, 2013

30 Day D&D Challenge: Day 28-A character you will never play ever again

This one seems a little negative at first glance, but my answer has a more positive spin.  Who's the character I would never play ever again?

Quinn

Yes, that's right folks.  My favorite character I've ever played is also the character I will never play ever again.  Why won't I play Quinn again?  Simple.  He might die from doing something stupid, or the game might just peter out from my fear of Quinn dying from doing something stupid.


Quinn is a 2nd ed AD&D character who's survived far more than his fair share of dangers.  And these aren't D&D 4e Millenials "dangers" where if you run out of hit points or fail a save you simply go unconscious or need to rest overnight or something to be back at full health.  These are the many, many Saves vs. Poison, Spells, or Dragon Breath, with death, level drain, or complete incineration as the failure effect.  After surviving so much, he's become something of a Socratic Ideal of a Hero in my mind over the years, and I wouldn't want to change that.  If I played Quinn again it would have to be 2nd ed AD&D, and with that comes the possibility for ridiculous or inescapable deaths.  As much as I like old-school D&Ds ridiculous Saves vs. Death, after all these years I don't think I'd enjoy putting Quinn in such danger again. And being afraid of dying is the opposite of what Quinn was all about, so the game wouldn't be fun.

Keep in mind I really want to play Quinn again, but its kinda like Indiana Jones.  The third movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, was awesome.  An absolutely great way to end the trilogy.  We all thought it was over and loved it. We dressed as Indiana for Halloween, we'd re-watch Raiders when theaters would play special screenings, we all owned replica whips and hats.  It was great reminiscing about Indiana Jones.  Then 20 years later they came out with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  If you're reading this blog I don't need to tell you how that movie turned out.  We thought we wanted to revisit Indy, but as it turns out, we really, really shouldn't have.  That's what re-playing Quinn would be like for me.  With my adult responsible personality and carefulness I wouldn't be able to do the gothy hipster-fatalist undead-hunting Quinn justice in our modern age.  So I'll just leave Quinn right where he is, at Last Crusade.


1 comment:

brando said...

I'll never play Jaeger the Gnome ever again. Because he's been killed and left for dead in the rolling hills near Longsaddle. Left to rot.